Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hello? Anybody still listening?

Our CF Katy 5th Place Regionals Team 2013

I'm not even going to apologize for the amount of time it's taken me to actually write another post on this blog. Let's just sum it all up. Life doesn't slow down, so you can either roll with it or let it roll over you. A lot has happened in the last 8 months but the real focus of my life right now is CrossFit. Surprise I know, but if I stop to take a look back since my last post, there really isn't much else that I've put much energy into. I suppose I should elaborate on that because I am not just talking about doing CrossFit. That would be cool though but I don't think there's even any big-time CrossFit stars that just get to train. There's always a million other things to do that revolve around CrossFit. For me it's all about running the gym with Neal and coaching a ton of classes including my summer KidFit classes, running a fledging nutrition business with my partner Sheila that does seminars at local boxes, and then of course training. 
Kid Fit Class Learning to Squat

Back up a few months and you'll see that the CrossFit Katy Regionals Team did something amazing this year, we finished 5th at the 2013 South Central Regionals...just two spots away from that coveted Games qualification spot! I think we surprised ourselves a little bit this year. Though we have been working out together for the past 3 years, we haven't really put in much Team specific training in those years and we still managed to give an amazing showing. Because of this, my training has taken a little bit more of a priority than it has in the past. This has manifested itself in a few different ways, most notably in my decision to cut back my hours at my other job. This has given me more time to train and also more time to coach. You see CrossFit Katy has continued to grow, we are in fact almost bursting at the seams and, because of this, have decided to expand our endeavors to include a whole array of new fitness programs and classes to keep up with the demand and to give our members more variety! Exciting I know but more on that in a later post!
Some of My Girls!

I have been focusing this off-season mostly on strength and skills related to Olympic lifting because this is an area that I think I struggle in compared to my overall strength. Also, it is impossible to ignore the fact that everyone is getting stronger! The final WOD at the CrossFit Games this year had 265lb deadlifts in it! I have been using a program from my good friends and coaches over at GrassIron Gym in Austin, Tx for my Olympic Specific programming and then leaving my CrossFit programming in the capable hands of my fiance and coach, Neal. This is sometimes a good thing and a bad thing :) I have been extremely lax lately with my nutrition clocking in probably more non-paleo meals than paleo meals but for whatever reason am weighing in less than I have in two years. Go figure! I am thinking it's about time to tighten things up though. Recently I have entertained the idea of doing another Whole 30 in August but am unsure if I want to commit to it yet. It would be good leading up to CrossFit season but we'll see. My supplementation regiment is on point again at least! I am a huge proponent of supplementation for athletes but I truly believe the best way to find your regiment is to get tested. Spectracell Labs in Houston has a test called the Micronutrient Test that uses your white blood cells to determine your exact need for specific vitamins and minerals. I've had this test done at Specialty Healthcare and Wellness and was shocked to learn that even with a good paleo diet (When I took the test I was eating great!) I still needed B vitamins and Antioxidants! If you're interested in this kind of testing check it out here! My supplementation regiment consists of a sports specific multi with lots of B's, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Antioxidants, and N-Acetyl Cysteine. I have recently also been experimenting with some new Pre and Post Workouts. More on that in another post!

Me and My Coach :)

So with a good nutrition plan, perfect supplementation, great programming and little push, I am ready for this year's CrossFit season which will hopefully conclude with a trip to the 2014 CrossFit Games in Carson, California! Just for a little extra motivation, I'm leaving you all with a pic from this year's CrossFit Games that Neal and I just got back from! Next year, I will not be just a spectator! 

No comments:

Post a Comment