Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Fittest Games Recap and On to Sectionals!

Though my efforts at keeping this blog updated have been minimal, I am happy to announce that it's because I have sooo many good things happening in my life right now (which I will most definitely share with all of you in the coming weeks)! Nonetheless, I have been absent for too long so here's to getting back on track.


A few weeks ago, I traveled to Austin with the rest of my CrossFit Katy fam and took on the 5th Annual Fittest Games. As always, the crew at CrossFit Central put on an incredibly competition. Everything ran smoothly and the competition was fierce. This year they had the competition broken down into to two division, Pro's and Amateurs. The only requirement to compete in the Pro division was that you had to have qualified as an individual to compete at Regionals last year. That meant the top 60 men and the top 60 women from our Region could compete. Last year I finished up 27th in the Region so I put on my big girl panties and registered for the Pro Division even though I knew there were still so many things that I needed to work on.

When the WODs came out on Friday night, they didn't disappoint and promised to push me to the limit. At packet pick up, we were required to weigh in because one of the WOD's had max bodyweight overhead squats in it.....that's right bodyweight! Ugg! The kicker though, was that we were not going to be allowed to take the weight from a rack. We first had to clean it, then put it on our backs, then push jerk it overhead, then squat it! When I weighed in, I was 156.8 which bumped up my bodyweight squat to 160#! I have never overhead squatted that much weight in my life. When that WOD came up, I had no problem cleaning 160# or putting it on my back, but I couldn't jerk under it which meant no bodyweight overhead squats for me!

There was one WOD that I was really looking forward to though. WOD #3 was a descending/ascending ladder of Muscle-Ups and Thrusters. I have been working on my muscle ups pretty steadily since Regionals last year when we had Team Amanda and I've gotten pretty good at them. The thruster weight was pretty light for me considering the heaviest weight was 135# and last year at Regionals I got 155#. But muscle ups are tricky, you never know when you're going to have an off day. Before that WOD, we were given 3 minutes to adjust our ring heights and I didn't make mine high enough. I have a massive kip when I do muscle ups and without enough leg room, I can't swing as hard as I need to. This ended up really affecting my ability to string together multiple muscle ups and time ended up ticking away before I could finish my last muscle up and thruster.

The final WOD was a triplet that had 225# deadlifts in it. Now I will be the first to admit that I have been avoiding the deadlift for probably the last year and a half. I was always good at deadlifts. I'm strong and have powerful legs, so I have been spending the majority of my time working on the skills that I wasn't good at...like chest to bar pull ups and muscle ups. Let me tell you, when you start to ignore a lift (or a skill) it WILL come back to bite you! BIG TIME! I got completely crushed by this lift and ended up dead last on this WOD! I think this is the first time I have ended up last in a WOD at a competition EVER!

Now, looking back and reading this post, it's pretty evident that I got my ass handed to me! But...

"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."

So I will be spending the next 3 months leading up to Regionals working on my errors and hopefully I will come out on top once again!


No comments:

Post a Comment