Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hello Fall!


Well for me, summer is officially over. I finished it off right with a 5 day cruise with Neal to Mexico. We did a lot of nothing which is just what I had in mind for this vacation. No alarm clocks, no itinerary, just lots of sun and magazine reading :-)

Now that September has rolled around, I am starting my 4th and final semester at UT Nursing School! It's about time....I've been in school since I was 2 1/2 (thanks mom) and now I will finally have a degree (that I can use) and (fingers crossed) a job that I will love. Of course there's no better job than training at CrossFit Katy and my bootcamps and hopefully that will be my only job someday, but until then at least I can do something else that's almost as fun and exciting.
September also brings with it the start of the new 2011 CrossFit Games season for me! As I said before, I took the summer off to relax, focus on school and work on my mental game and now it's time to get back to it. For the next few months, I will be posting some of the things that I'm doing as far as my training goes whether that be nutrition, metcons, skill work, etc. So far, it has been a great first week. I got in 4 good WOD's at CrossFit Katy and am getting back into the routine. The thing I am probably the most excited about with regards to my training is Kelly Starrett's new Mobility WOD blog.
My mobility (or complete lack thereof) is one of the things that is really hindering me as an athlete, especially with regards to overhead movements. Without good shoulder mobility, I will never be able to reach my potential in the overhead squat, snatch, push press, push jerk....the list goes on and on. What I am loving about the Mobility WOD blog is that it makes the task not so daunting. I mean, I could easily become overwhelmed with the list of things I need to fix mobility-wise....tight shoulder capsules, tight hip flexors which cause increased pressure on my lower back, poor wrist mobility which hinders my handstands....let's just say my mobility is %&# and the thought of fixing it all makes me want to just throw my hands up and quit. But the Mobility WOD blog focuses on one mobilization a day, 4-10 minutes a day. It breaks the task down into small, do-able stretches and mobilizations and eventually I really think it will make a huge difference for me.
This fall is shaping up to be a great lead-in to the 2011 Games Season. So far I'm signed up for the Team Competition at the Oktoberfest Obliteration at CrossFit Champions, the Standard Women's Individual Competition at the CrossFit Beaumont Showdown, and am looking forward to the All-Cities Open in Dallas come December. I know there's going to be some great competitors at all of these events so right now I'm just focusing on dialing in my diet and rocking it out at CrossFit Katy to prepare for all the mayhem!

No comments:

Post a Comment