Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Adventures in Weights!


So I've had a bit of a revelation this week. I suppose it's a completely obvious one, but I'm kind of hard-headed sometimes so I guess it took me a while. At CrossFit Katy, the way we structure our WOD's is fairly consistent. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays we do a lift or work on a skill and then afterwards we do a MetCon that usually incorporates that skill or lift. I happen to LOVE M, W, F workouts. I am a strong chick and when we do strength workouts, I tend to finish at the top of the Whiteboard for the day....and hey, it makes me feel good, I like winning. BUT I have come to realize that I no longer fear my strength days. I go into the gym on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday looking forward to crushing a WOD and walking away feeling good......and that, my friends, is a problem. Now, I know my biggest weaknesses lie in the body-weight movements and the cardio-focused MetCons and, yes, I still need to put extra effort and time into those, but I have been neglecting my strength. Actually, I have been taking my strength for granted and that is no way to set PR's. Well, this past Wednesday the CrossFit Katy WOD looked like this:
Strength/Skill:
Overhead Squats
3-3-3
Now Overhead Squats are probably one of my weakest lifts, but I am still probably stronger than the average CrossFit girl. My sets looked like this....95lbs, 115lb, 135(F).....I failed at 135 which means I didn't get a single lift. I would have gone back down to 125lbs but class time was running short.
The Conditioning portion of the workout looked like this:
5 Rounds
5 Overhead Squats
10 Push Ups
20 Double Unders
The prescribed weight for girls was 65lbs and for guys it was 95lbs. I looked at the weight and though in my head "Sweet! It's only 65...I'm going to crush this one even though my push ups are not my strongest skill!" But then I got to thinking...what good is it doing me coming into the gym 3 days a week and blowing through these WODS? I'm not getting any stronger. Sure I may be getting faster, but think how much faster I would be if I was throwing around heavier weight.....(Ok I told you it was an obvious revelation so stop laughing!) I guess I just got caught up in the desire to "Win" at the stuff that I'm already good at instead of trying to get better. So that day, I bumped up my weight to the Men's RX weight of 95lbs. I finished in 8:32 which wasn't the fastest time in the gym...but I'm ok with that. There was a moment in the middle of round 4 where I was staring at the bar and thinking...."Holy crap, I really don't want to pick that thing up!" I had forgotten what that feeling was like and that's the way it's supposed to be! So here's to getting stronger, faster, better! I see big things in the future! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment