Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Just What I Needed!

So I knew that there were some pretty crazy things that could be done with cauliflower but this recipe takes the cake! As I was eating it, I kept thinking "there is no way that this is a vegetable!" Now I did not come up with this recipe. It's another amazing concoction from Melissa "Melicious" Joulwan over at The Clothes Make the Girl. If you're missing grains in your Paleo diet, this is the recipe for you!

Cauliflower "Fouscous" (Fake+Couscous)

I'm telling you, you will not be disappointed with this one. The texture and taste are just like a sweet/savory bowl of delicious, fluffy couscous! This recipe takes some time but it is well worth it. I twisted it slightly because I like a lot of flavor in the way of spices and I did up the amount of raisins just a bit.

Ingredients:
1 Head of Cauliflower
1/4 cup of raisins
1 shallot, diced
1 TBS cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger
1/4 cup chopped, toasted almonds

Directions:
Ok so this is the tedious part. You have to cut the florets off the cauliflower head and place them in a food processor. DO NOT use any of the stems. They don't give the right texture and texture is really important in this dish. So process the cauliflower florets until they resemble fine sand. Don't fill the food processor too full (which means you may have to process the cauliflower in two or three batches) Place the processed cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and nuke in the microwave for about 3 minutes just to get out a little of the crunch.

Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat some olive oil and when it's hot, add the diced shallot and saute for a few minutes. Next add the raisins and toast for a minute. Then add the spices to the pan and toast up the spices. I know this may sound strange to some but it really adds some nice flavor to the dish. Now add in your cauliflower and stir, stir, stir. The kitchen is going to smell really good! Take the pan off the heat and stir in the toasted almonds. Serve and enjoy eating the most amazing paleo vegetable dish ever!


1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet to give me a shout-out. And I agree with you: pulverized cauliflower is like magic! Glad you like the recipe... I love what you did with the spices!

    ReplyDelete