Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Slip But Don't Fall


Well I am not perfect! Haha! Nobody's perfect right? But just in case you thought I was the nutritional perfectionist, I'm here to tell you that I am not. No, I did not fall off the Whole 30 wagon, just in case that's what you were thinking. This post isn't about falling...it's about slipping. See you can slip without falling, but it takes some muscle. Ok ok you're probably wondering, "what the heck is this girl talking about?" I'm talking about giving in to emotional eating, being beaten down by my "sugar demons", eating about as unhealthily as you can while maintaining a perfectly healthy diet...capisce?
I've been on this round of the Whole 30 for 17 days and 15 out of those 17 days have been great! In fact, I'd say the last week has been damn near perfect. I have eaten vegetables at all my meals (yes, vegetables at breakfast are delicious, I promise!), I have had my recommended pre and post workout meals carrying my tubs of sweet potato, egg, and turkey with me into the gym, i have taken my fish oil every day BUT this weekend I got beat down!
Saturday and Sunday were full of bananas, almond butter spoonfulls right out of the jar, larabars, bowls of coconut milk with raisins and nuts....ahhh you get the picture. It seemed like no matter what I ate for my meal, I just HAD to have that little something extra, that little "dessert". Now most people would not consider a larabar or banana or apple with almond butter a real "dessert" item but when your brain tells you that it's something you just HAVE TO HAVE even though you just ate a big dinner (mine was delicious steak and salad with avocado dressing) then it is dessert and you don't need it.
This is something that I have struggled with for years! I love love love food and sometimes I just have to have things.....these days my cravings are much much different than they were when I was younger. I used to geek out on late-night bowls of cereal while now I prefer a bowl of fruit and nuts with coconut milk...but they represent the same thing....my sugar demons talking to me telling me that I have to have dessert even though I already ate. Part of the Whole 30 is centered around changing your relationship with food, that part I have not conquered yet, but I am working on it.
Today was a much better day than the last two. Remember I said it's possible to slip without falling, but it takes some muscle...and I flexed it today :) I am finishing this post after dinner and even as I write this, I am already feeling the urge for that "dessert". On a suggestion from the Whole 9 Blog, I am going to try and drink a glass of hot decaf tea instead of snacking. We'll see how that goes! I look forward to the day that I don't always feel the need for a late-night snack.
So anybody out there who's fighting their own "sugar demons", keep flexing that muscle and stay on track! Maybe we'll kick their butts together!

No comments:

Post a Comment